Recipe from: “BBQ Food for Friends” by Jane Lawson and Anessa Broadfoot
A friend of ours made this Thai Beef Salad at a recent BBQ gathering last weekend, and I couldn’t help myself – asked for the recipe straight away! It is a simple yet fulfilling dish, not your typical “salad” because there is plenty of wholesome, meaty BEEF goodness and beautiful flavors throughout the salad. Perfect for any barbecues, and I know I’ve been posting lots of “Winter Comfort Food” lately for my Aussie readers, so here’s one for my American / Canadian / International readers 🙂
- 80 ml lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp grated palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (cilantro) roots and stems
- 1 stem lemon grass (white part only), finely chopped
- 2 small red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 x 200g beef eye fillet steaks
- 150g mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 15g coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 7g torn mint leaves
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Lebanese (short) cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- Mix together the lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, garlic, chopped coriander, lemon grass and chilli until the sugar has dissolved.
- Preheat the chargrill plate to medium-high direct heat and cook the steaks for 4 minutes on each side, or until medium. Let the steaks cool, then slice them thinly across the grain.
- Put the salad leaves, onion, coriander leaves, mint, tomatoes and cucumber in a large bowl, add the beef and dressing, toss them together and serve immediately.